Monday, August 21, 2017

Discontinuation of Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) Mini Journal

One of the steps moving towards surgery is to stop taking the Provera (medroxyprogesterone) 10 mg that I was taking daily to try and thin my uterine lining.  I had read many statements from women coming off, especially with Adenomyosis, that the bleeding that follows is horrific. Some even needed blood transfusions from the hospital from the hemorrhages. My general doctor had thought I should stay on it until surgery so that I don't chance becoming anemic.  The surgeon however felt that it was worth the risk to come off of it.  He doesn't want me on anything that might mask symptoms or pain before surgery. Generally bleeding commences 3-7 days after discontinuation. In my case it was day 3, and the cramping has been horrible, doubled over in pain, crying in bed, heating pad, prescribed pain meds aren't touching the pain. My bleeding has surprised me and hasn't been as horrible as a normal (to me) period, at least not yet.  I am day 6 off Provera and day 3 of bleeding.  I am keeping this journal here for other women who may have questions about what it is like.  I will update as it progresses. I was on the Provera for just over 1 and 1/2 months, so maybe that makes a difference as well.
I can say being on the Provera made me a PMS'ing 24/7 hot mess.  Like the kind of hot mess where I have to send myself to time out to avoid being a horrible parent or wife.  I can thankfully say that some of that emotional mess has subsided.

Day 3 Off Provera ~ Light Brownish Blood, no clots, horrific cramping.

Day 6 Off Provera ~ Normalish bleeding, no clots, horrific cramping.

Day 9 Off Provera ~ Pink spotting and horrific cramping.

Day 10 off provera~No bleeding cramping has lessened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Details and Update with Dr. Duke

Surgery was 8/2/18.  Hubby and I drove over the night before surgery. No bowel prep made it nice! We arrived at the hospital at 7 am.  Pap...