Monday, October 2, 2017

Pathology Results from Hysterectomy and Endo Excision

I got my pathology results back a few weeks ago and wanted to share some of the findings.

The uterus did not come back with a positive adenomyosis diagnosis, which can be missed unless they sample the entire endometrium. The pathology did say the the myometrium was slightly trabeculated and from what I have read this can be indication of adeno. Results showed benign endometrial polyps (a relief they were benign because unlike fibroids they can be malignant)  and a proliferative endometrium. Although I do not fully understand the proliferative endometrium results on the pathology as it is a phase in the menstrual cycle.  A normal endometrium in the proliferative stage is 2-3mm thick, mine was 5mm thick.  My uterus was indeed enlarged, normal weight is about 60 grams and mine was 148, with enlarged dimensions as well.  A lot of doctors recommend hysterectomy when the uterus is larger than 100 grams in weight, which I am not sure how this would be accurately measured prior to hysterectomy.

Even without a clear adenomyosis diagnosis, I do not regret the hysterectomy.  Polyps were reason enough to have it done as they reoccur/multiply and come along with a chance for cancer. Pain was located there, along with crazy heavy, bleeding cramping and clots. I was done having children and felt no need to try and keep it.

Info on Endometrial Polys http://www.cmdrc.com/menstrual-disorders-fibroids/endometrial-polyps/

The endometriosis was confirmed by pathology in all samples taken.  I can't tell you how gratifying this was, to finally have a reason for the my pain. I want to take the results and slap the doctors who didn't believe my pain with them!!!!  If you have endo or other pelvic issues you know how frustrating it is to find a doctor to take you seriously and not just think you are a drug seeking crazy person!

Endo was in the left peritoneum, over the left ureter, plaque and infiltrating with some adhesions to the ureter. This tracked down into the left pelvic cul de sac at the lateral aspect of the rectum. Right side peritoneum, right pelvic cul de sac endometriosis, right mesosalpinx endometriosis and an infiltrative mass in the perirectal fat on the right side which was confirmed to contain endo.

The Mesosalpinx endo I believe is why I felt like I always had right ovary pain, especially during my period. I always assumed this was just due to the PCOS. I had countless docs note my right ovary tenderness in my chart, always saying we will just keep an eye on it.

It will be interesting to see how my ovaries do after all of this and if they can give me a few years without HRT.

The endo that tracked to my rectum and the perirectal mass explained my digestive symptoms, and pain during defecation especially right before my period. 

The ureter endo explains why I always thought I was getting a bladder infection right before my period.  Often with blood in my urine. Doctors would find no bacteria, see blood and treat me for a UTI regardless.  I can't say how many years I had this happen before I figured out for myself that the symptoms like a UTI went along with my menstrual cycle and that is was not an infection needing treated.  But since no doc wanted to listen that it was menstrual related, I chalked it up to "periods" and just knew to have uristat on hand for the pain.

Oddly the surgeon didn't note the ovarian cysts or ovarian drilling in his reports, but we clearly saw him do it on the video of the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Details and Update with Dr. Duke

Surgery was 8/2/18.  Hubby and I drove over the night before surgery. No bowel prep made it nice! We arrived at the hospital at 7 am.  Pap...